icons?

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
notsure
Pronouns: She/hers

icons?

Post by notsure »

Hi Admins,

Is there a place here showing the the icons available for the posts and what they all mean? I'm seeing a question mark attached to Thanks For All the Fish's ballad in the Concert Hall and have no idea why it's there, what it means.

I peeked in the FAQs and didn't see anything helpful.

Thanks,
notsure

Thanksforallthefish
Pronouns: she, her

Re: icons?

Post by Thanksforallthefish »

In my case it means open to advice! I'll see if I can find the primer. a <3 "heart" means jedi hugs only and no advice.
This is a quest to learn myself; this country hidden underwater and only recently risen to the surface. I've spent so many years squished into small boxes, I am slowly inflating and unfolding to find my natural edges and curves.
-Solecism (para)

notsure

Post by notsure »

Ah, ok. thanks! I could use one. This board is just different enough from my main hangout board that I get confused.

I knew the heart one. And I know the lock means we can't post on a thread.

The color seems to shift when I've read posts.

Saturnalia
Pronouns: they/he

Post by Saturnalia »

Ever since the mobile design changed I've started to see all these icons for the first time, so I'm also watching this thread with interest. I didn't know there were symbols visible for anyone since I've only ever visited from my phone!

boutet
Administrator
Pronouns: she/her

Post by boutet »

There are several icons in the system but the only ones that mean anything are the "?" the heart, and the lock. Thanksforallthefish is right that "?" means advice is welcome and the heart means no advice in that thread. The lock means that the thread has been locked, and that can only be put in place by Mods.

Generally we don't want people to use the icons except in the Ballads forum. In Ballads it can be useful for letting people be clear about their thread being advice-welcome or advice-free but it is not required to use one, and the only icons that mean anything there are the "?" and heart. The other icons have no meaning and can just be confusing for users (as this thread shows :) ) I don't think we have an explicit rules about the icons, though, and I'll check into that. The ballad icon explanation is in the "About the Concert Hall" admin thread in the Concert Hall and can be found here: http://friendsofcaptainawkward.com/foru ... =59&t=7714

In terms of colour changes, yes, unread threads are shown in one colour and read one are shown in another. This was true of the old forum as well, though probably looked a bit different due to the different layouts and styles. There is also a little red star beside a thread title when you have commented on that thread.

Saturnalia
Pronouns: they/he

Post by Saturnalia »

Thank you for explaining the star + everything else!

notsure

Post by notsure »

Thank you for the explanation boutet. It's appreciated.

notsure

Post by notsure »

I hadn't know about the star either.