Trigger warnings: a how to guide

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
siranoyd
Pronouns: they/them

Re: Trigger warnings: a how to guide

Post by siranoyd »

On my smartphone I just have to tap it.

Allochthon

Post by Allochthon »

Good gravy. Thank you, siranoyd.
This is one of those "quick taps" vs "longer taps" vs "long press" situations I hate.

kathlynn
Pronouns: any female or generic pronoun

Post by kathlynn »

just tap the text, then tap away from the text to hide it again.
I fuss over details, loath absolute/blanket statements, and probably over think everything I do.

DropTable~DropsMic
Pronouns: She or They

Post by DropTable~DropsMic »

I tap the blacked out word when on my phone. ETA didn't see the other replies

presently_black
Pronouns: she/her

Post by presently_black »

I've seen threads that discuss fluffy bunnies where the title has tw fluffy bunnies and then parts of the replies would be hidden under tw tags for fluffy bunnies. What are the guidelines for when to hide text under a tw tag with the same tw as in the title?

marmoset

Post by marmoset »

presently_black, good question - if in doubt, tw tags should be used the same way in the post regardless of whether there is a tw in the title or a general content note in the first paragraph of the post (which folks also sometimes do).

Having a tw in the title is helpful and appreciated, but does not replace the need for tw tags in the post.

That said, there can a bit of leeway here as indicated in the main post of this thread - if something is tw'ed in the title then more borderline content (stuff that maybe needs a tw, maybe not) could be left uncovered according to your judgment. But the hard and fast board rules for covering e.g. quoted slurs would apply regardless.

Hope this helps!

ETA this is not an official mod ruling on this subject, just my interpretation as the user marmoset.

Thanksforallthefish
Pronouns: she, her

Post by Thanksforallthefish »

Thank you for this! I will keep it in mind. I just self-reported a post and the mods found something I missed and it was really helpful because their cover wasn't something that occurred to me as needing a TW but in hindsight makes total sense.

Thanks mods for your support!
This is a quest to learn myself; this country hidden underwater and only recently risen to the surface. I've spent so many years squished into small boxes, I am slowly inflating and unfolding to find my natural edges and curves.
-Solecism (para)

zirness
Pronouns: gender neutral
Gender: gender neutral, don't have a fav. pronoun, any neutral one is good

Post by zirness »

If you want to post about something in popular media that is both a spoiler and has a TW in it, should you post it as a spoiler, embed the TW's within the spoiler??

I'm going to try this out here with a couple of options:

Just spoiler tag:(contains a TW)
On the latest episode of Carrot Crunchers, the main characters ate all of the carrots, and then realized they were actually Fluffy Bunnies all along and were horrified.

Seeing if I can embed a TW within a spoiler:
On the latest episode of Carrot Crunchers, the main characters ate all of the carrots, and then realized they were actually TW: Fluffy Bunnies all along and were horrified

Manually tagging them separately:
On the latest episode of Carrot Crunchers, the main characters ate all of the carrots, and then realized they were actually TW: Fluffy Bunnies all along and were horrified

ETA: Oooh, it looks like if you tag your text as spoiler, then tag the text within as a TW, the spoiler is highlighted black and the TW stays covered in gray highlight unless you hover over it separately. This is how it appears on my computer, anyway. Is there a mod preference for how to handle this?

siranoyd
Pronouns: they/them

Post by siranoyd »

Not a mod but I think your second example is the most useful!

zirness
Pronouns: gender neutral
Gender: gender neutral, don't have a fav. pronoun, any neutral one is good

Post by zirness »

Thanks, that one is easier, since you just highlight the whole spoiler, mark as spoiler, then highlight the tw inside the spoiler, mark as tw. (when using computer/mouse, I assume typing as code would work as long as nesting is correct)