"no unread posts" on threads I haven't looked at yet

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
SqueakyHammer
Pronouns: she, her

"no unread posts" on threads I haven't looked at yet

Post by SqueakyHammer »

Hi! I am new to this forum. The only online forum I have much experience with is on ravelry.com, and I'm sure some of my newbie disorientation here is due to how it is set up a little different to the way the Rav forums work (eg usernames/avatars on the right instead of left).
One thing that is puzzling me is the "unread posts" indicator. I haven't gotten around to reading very many so far, but at this point most threads show a "no unread posts" tooltip when I hover over the little icon. Or is "unread posts" just to indicate when there are new posts in a thread since the last time I read it?

boutet
Administrator
Pronouns: she/her

Re: "no unread posts" on threads I haven't looked at yet

Post by boutet »

There are some links you can click on up at the top-right corner of the screen. Such as "View Your Posts" and "View Active Topics." One of those links is "Mark Forums Read" and if you click that one is shows all the posts in all areas of the forum as "read."

So if you were clicking on anything in that area you may have accidentally clicked on "Mark Forums Read" and had that happen to you. I remember the first time I did that I was pretty confused!

Does that sound like it might be what happened?

SqueakyHammer
Pronouns: she, her

Post by SqueakyHammer »

I don't remember doing that but it's possible. I don't suppose there is a way to reverse that?

boutet
Administrator

Post by boutet »

Not that I've been able to find.

Nausikaä

Post by Nausikaä »

IIRC, all posts made before I joined where automatically marked as read. Unless I somehow clicked "Mark forums read" by accident, but I don't think I did.