Discribing weight, without breaking the rules

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
kathlynn
Pronouns: any female or generic pronoun

Discribing weight, without breaking the rules

Post by kathlynn »

Okay, so I understand the rules about not talking about weight and size in specific numbers. I was wondering about any tips on how to alternately describe weight, for when one needs to mention it (ex/ body shaming). I don't have any good strategies for it, because I usually just use my weight or pants size.
In TW is a situation, which almost uses numbers, to show the type of thing I'm talking about. Possible triggers for body shaming. (kept it short to try and prevent it. Also a lot of information cut out since it would sound like a rant.)
I mean, I only weigh [number] pounds. There is nothing to be concerned about, I'm [only __ or within normal range] yet she tells me to __...
I fuss over details, loath absolute/blanket statements, and probably over think everything I do.

Esk
Pronouns: they/them

Re: Discribing weight, without breaking the rules

Post by Esk »

Mmm. You could try "healthy weight", even though that's also a bit problematic (many people are healthy even though they are not within a particular arbitrary range).
Would it be better, though, to rephrase the whole thing? I mean, the problem I think you're trying to describe is someone else's behaviour, and nothing to do with your actual weight - you don't have to prove to us that they were incorrect, and body shaming behaviour is wrong whether or not they are correct.

CodaSammy
Administrator
Pronouns: she, her

Re: Discribing weight, without breaking the rules

Post by CodaSammy »

"I'm happy with my weight, so I have nothing to worry about, yet she tells me to ______" ?

The actual numbers don't matter - the point is that you have no need nor desire to change them.