Internet provider blocking this site

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
Doggle

Internet provider blocking this site

Post by Doggle »

My ISP's child content lock keeps stopping me from getting here.

I think it's a technical issue their end (they know perfectly well I'm over 18 but the thing won't reset).

But it also bothers me on a wider scale, because apparently someone somewhere has categorised this site as not being suitable for under 18s, and that seems to me to reflect ingrained social bias & privilege. Is it because we discuss LGBT issues, for example?

Jay Bird
Pronouns: Anything except 'it'

Re: Internet provider blocking this site

Post by Jay Bird »

I don't know why yours blocks it. I know the public computers at my local library block it intermittently, and that it's an automatic thing (it blocks any page that it sees a swearword on)

mooocow

Re: Internet provider blocking this site

Post by mooocow »

Jay Bird wrote:(it blocks any page that it sees a swearword on)
Ahaha, that is so fucking ridiculous!
Except now you won't be able to read this, because the site is gonna be blocked again... Fuck! Oh no, did it again!
[/weird humour]

Seriously, this whole stuff about blocking the internet is weirding me out. Especially the kind of blocking that occurs. You can still watch people kill each other, you can still watch tons of misogynist material - all is well as long as we block all those evil swearwords...