When modding from a report, should we say that's why?

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!

When moderating based on a report, should we say that's why we're doing it?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 am

Yes - explain that a report has been made.
71%
No - keep reports completely secret.
29%

Total votes: 72

Kellis Amberlee
Pronouns: she/her

When modding from a report, should we say that's why?

Post by Kellis Amberlee »

Currently, we keep reports completely secret - even just the fact that a report has been made is not mentioned unless we have no other option. This means that confidentiality is complete, and that nobody who wants to make a report needs to worry about anyone guessing it was them. It also means that all the heat is taken by the mods and not by you folks! It's OK, that's what we signed up for.

However, this has led to a few difficult situations for the admods, when people dislike the moderation and can't understand why we've done it. It would make things a lot clearer if we could say "we took this decision because one or more reports were made. We're trying to take everybody's needs into account."

So. Should we do that? Don't worry - no matter what we choose here, we will never divulge the details of a report or who made it. This poll is confidential. No one but you can see what you voted on as an individual.

This poll will be open for one week.
Last edited by Kellis Amberlee on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Fixed headline and made global, and added endtime of poll
The difference between the truth and a lie is that both of them can hurt, but only one will take the time to heal you afterward.

kathlynn
Pronouns: any female or generic pronoun

Re: When modding from a report, should we say that's why?

Post by kathlynn »

I like the idea of keeping it simple. That is, just mod the post, and say what you do now. "modded to add triggers" etc. If someone complains about it, then if needed you can say that people complained, and such. Maybe point them to a thread if you know of one that deals with the issue they are complaining about.

Especially since I do not think the mod team would edit a post, even with a report, unless they thought it was a just/appropriate reason. (for example, y'all wouldn't TW hot tamale, while a racial slur would get TW).

And you are understanding, I mean there was the post in -isms where a user was allowed to rephrase a sentence that came across as ablest, when they didn't mean it the way it came across.

One other thing you could do is make the Forum Rules appear across all forums, not just Administrivia, like this thread does atm. Which might help encourage people to read and follow them.
I fuss over details, loath absolute/blanket statements, and probably over think everything I do.

Flightless
Pronouns: she

Post by Flightless »

I voted "keep secret" and *then* read the part where you said that makes it harder on the mods. Mine is looking like a minority vote anyway--- I guess my gut feeling is that the mods should get to say "Because that's how this forum works, is why" but I don't want things to be any more difficult for you. B/c the Mods are AWESOME. I love the way y'all run this space. Seriously, thanks for all that you do!

TheR.J.
Pronouns: They
Location: Eating chocolates in a room where the world is a different place

Post by TheR.J. »

The reason we're asking is that we have been getting complaints, and several users have said they feel like we're modding based on our own preferences. In fact, mod actions usually start with a report from a user who is not a mod. Mods sometimes notice a violation of the rules, and sometimes mods are triggered (because we are real people with triggers, too!) but usually it comes from users.
It really doesn't feel good to get accused of being tyrannical when we're only doing as we were asked, as we wanted to know whether this increased visibility would help you all, like we mods think it will help us.
When I am wearing my mod hat, it's official business. Otherwise? Nothing special. :)

"Man sieht nur mit dem herzen gut." The Little Prince
"...Dzīvi jāņem smejot.
Tik, cik tā iemirdzas. Kā garāmejot.” Imants Ziedonis

Tesseract
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Tesseract »

I'm in favor of transparency, personally. You can mention that a post was modded in response to a user report without identifying the user. But... Well, it's my experience that people ALWAYS complain about moderator tyranny on teh internetz, regardless of whether it's a thing. Do you think openness is likely to reduce the frequency of the complaints?

King Hotpants
Pronouns: he

Post by King Hotpants »

This is a move to help users who are dealing in good faith understand why the mods do certain things that might otherwise seem arbitrary or confusing. If someone has already decided we're dealing in bad faith, there's really nothing we can do to fix that.

The rules tell our users to assume good faith. We're going to do the same. If this helps some people understand where certain mod actions come from, I'm okay with it not being a perfect solution.
Please read the rules, respect your fellow posters, and contact a member of staff if there's a problem.