Trigger warnings: a how to guide

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
MoonChild

Re: Trigger warnings: a how to guide

Post by MoonChild »

I feel silly but I've just spent 45 minutes trying to figure out *how* to create a tw. Like if I want to hide the words "fluffy bunnies", what exactly do I have to do while I'm writing the post to hide th em? I'm sure there's an explanation somewhere but I can't find it.

mossyone

Post by mossyone »

Moonchild- don't worry, I couldn't do it properly for ages either! Make sure you're using 'post reply' and not 'quick reply' so you can see the text edit buttons, then highlight the text you want to hide with a trigger warning and click the 'tw' button on the top right of the box. Or you can press it before writing and position your text in the middle of the text that appears (sorry I can't remembet the proper names for what those things are called!)

Esis
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Esis »

You can also type the commands yourself. You just enclose the commands in brackets like these: [ ]

Here it is in a code box to make the code visiable.

Code: Select all

[tw]Fluffy bunnies[/tw]
Edited for clarity.
I'm always game for some jedi hugs! Or adorable animals of all shapes and sizes :)

salted_caramel
Pronouns: She/her

Post by salted_caramel »

@MoonChild - if you want to practice the formatting in a safe spot, that's one of the things this thread is for. (That's where I learned!)

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

Thanks everybody for the replies. Let me give this a go.

(TW: fluffy bunnies) Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes... What's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?

CodaSammy
Administrator
Pronouns: she, her

Post by CodaSammy »

You got it, MoonChild! Perfect :)

Redheadedtwit
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Redheadedtwit »

+100 to Moonchild for excellent Buffy reference.

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

How did I know this crowd would appreciate a Buffy quote:)

creativeusername
Pronouns: she/her

Post by creativeusername »

I've been thinking about this old comment of mine and the trigger warning therein. I spent at least an hour trying to get it perfect, not sure how to phrase it so that it was both an adequate warning but without getting into so much detail that it spoiled what little story there is in the game.

I don't think I did a very good job, and that's particularly annoying to me because I gave the impression that I didn't really comprehend the story, which plays right into one of the common "criticisms" leveled at "SJWs" by GGers: that we don't really play or understand games. (I'm sure there are no GGers around here, but still, principle of the thing).

In the case of one of the triggers I listed, it is in the game, but it's probably not the kind of [trigger] most people would expect after seeing the warning, to the extent that I think a lot of people would actually miss that it's there at all (or disagree with my description of it as [trigger]). I worry that I might have warned off some people who wouldn't actually have been triggered, and failed to properly warn others who might have been. I don't know.

In the case of another trigger, it's not technically in the game, but there's something else in the game that I thought might trigger people who've experienced [thing] regardless, so I just shortened it to [thing] even though [thing] isn't really in the game.

I feel like, in the future, someone could make a lucrative career out of getting these things just right. It's harder than it seems at first.

Allochthon

Post by Allochthon »

Does anyone know how to READ the obscured text, while using a tablet, or other mobile device?
the "hover your mouse over the text" I do on a computer doesn't apply.
I've actually been copying/pasting the text in question to a text editor on my tablet. Not fun.
Last edited by Allochthon on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.