Trigger warnings: a how to guide

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
boutet
Administrator
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Trigger warnings: a how to guide

Post by boutet »

Mod note:

zirness, we don't have a policy on a specific way to handle covered text that includes tw and spoilers. As long as there is clear warning of both the tw and the spoiler it should be fine. Any of your ways here would be acceptable. The first and second seem like the most accessible for ease of reading, but you would not be moderated for using the third.

Mod note end.

zirness
Pronouns: gender neutral
Gender: gender neutral, don't have a fav. pronoun, any neutral one is good

Post by zirness »

Thanks!

Just Liz
Pronouns: she, her

Post by Just Liz »

Hi!

I'm trying to post something in another forum but I still don't understand how to TW and I don't want to mess up.

I understand when and why. It's the formatting part I'm struggling with. So here's my post for practising purposes.

Today I saw a [tw/fluffly bunny]couple of fluffly bunnies on the road[/tw] Oh my, it was so perfect. Then [tw/ animal violence ]one the silly fluffly bunnies hit the other with a carrot [/tw]. I was so dissapointed, I thought they were little cute animals and never expected this behavior.

Please, let me know if it works.

Thanks

SorchaRei
Administrator
Pronouns: she/her

Post by SorchaRei »

The syntax you are using is not quite correct. You can see this by looking at your post and seeing that the tw is not covering your examples.

The easiest way to apply tw tags is to type the words you want to cover. Then select them, and while they are selected, click the tw button above the text box. This will apply the tw tags around the text in question. If you look at what this does, then you will see how the tags should be done.

Or you can type it manually. I've done it here, with an added underscore in both tags. If you remove the underscores, then the tags will do the job:

[_tw]Sample text[_/tw]

Removing the underscores results in properly tagged text: Sample text

Hope this helps.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

Ægir
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Ægir »

Is there an option to turn off the trigger warning function for our own view? I'm finding it really hard to read a lot of posts because of the contrast and the way small cursor movements or scrolling can make the concealment flicker. I don't have triggers that tend to be set off just by seeing references, so it wouldn't harm me to just have the covered text display as normal, and it's becoming a real accessibility issue for a lot of threads I'd like to participate in.

Real_Ale
Pronouns: she or they

Post by Real_Ale »

@Ægir, I notice that if I "Select All" (Ctrl+A on a Windows PC) the page, everything is highlighted and the TW text shows up as well. I hope that helps.