Ways to automatically save drafts of longer posts?

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
federalprisonblues

Ways to automatically save drafts of longer posts?

Post by federalprisonblues »

I wanted to update my Concert Hall page because a lot has happened since the last time I posted there. I got logged out before I could submit, and when I logged back in, my post was gone. I'm pretty frustrated, because I wrote for over an hour. Is there any way to set a post up so that it saves automatically if I get logged out before I'm finished writing again?

creativeusername
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Ways to automatically save drafts of longer posts?

Post by creativeusername »

I'm not sure, but I think not. What I do is either write in a different program that does autosave (e.g. the notes app on my phone, Word, or notepad++), or if I'm feeling lucky, I'll regularly highlight all text and copy it (e.g. ctrl+a then ctrl+c on Windows) in case I'm logged out when I hit submit (then I paste it into a text file for safe keeping until I log back in). I write a lot of long posts around here, and I've only lost one or two posts (because the second method is still kind of risky, especially if you're multitasking).

Sorry that you lost your post.

federalprisonblues

Post by federalprisonblues »

Thanks, Evelyn. I guess I'm so used to writing in WordPress and Google Docs that I take both sites' automatic draft-saving features for granted and assume they apply everywhere online. Writing the draft in Docs and then copy-pasting seems like a good idea for me, too, since I'm easily distracted.

Stabbity

Post by Stabbity »

If you happen to use Chrome, there are a couple of plugins that could help: one of them saves form data (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fgno?hl=en) and one of them keeps sessions alive (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fhfcgleinm) - your session expiring is what causes that terrible log out oh-no-my-post-is-gone thing.

If you use a different browser or aren't into either one of those plugins, what I searched for to find those was "chrome save form data" (you can replace chrome with whatever browser you use) and "chrome keep session alive"

JulieC

Post by JulieC »

There's an addon called Lazarus that has saved my tail on more than one occasion. It saves form inputs automatically and can reinput them with a right click.