icons on threads and on posts (in different views)

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
Catmom
Pronouns: She, her

icons on threads and on posts (in different views)

Post by Catmom »

Hello people!

I am new-ish and trying to find my way around and not go too far off track.
So, the icons about "jedi hugs only" and "advice okay" are important, and I'm just a tad unclear.

First, the icons often don't show up properly for me. (There are like "broken gif" icons instead?) This doesn't make me (word removed bye Mod: ableism)-with-confusion -- but it does make it a little harder to find out what icon is SUPPOSED to be there. If i'm on my computer, I can fly the mouse over the broken-gif-icon and there is a flyover hint that tells me what is SUPPOSED to be shown. That works. If I'm on my iPad though, I don't know any way to do something equivalent (so I am tending toward mostly not posting.)

So: first question: is there some text somewhere that tells how the THREAD is marked?

Also, it seems that the icons are only shows when I am viewing the list of posts in a given forum. Not when I am viewing ONE particular thread.

So, second question: is the icon (or text or whatever) shown in some way for a thread when I am viewing that thread (not a list of many threads)?

Finally, is there any kind of marking on the individual posts in a thread (besides any words included about these things.)

Thanks for any help or insight you can shed on this.

Catmom

Re: icons on threads and on posts (in different views)

Post by Catmom »

Okay, well I am stopping in to say that I am taking no response as meaning that there is no easy / known answer to these things. Which probably means also there is not text or something I'm overlooking.

boutet
Administrator
Pronouns: she/her

Post by boutet »

Mod note:

Catmom, I have edited your first post to remove an ableist term that is not allowed on our board. Please review this Admin post on ableism and this board: http://friendsofcaptainawkward.com/foru ... f=6&t=8228

In answer to your question, we aren't programmers and we have a very limited ability to control the way that the forum works, especially when it comes to different devices and browsers. We're sorry to hear that the icons are not working for you but unfortunately there isn't much we can do about that. If you don't know if a thread is advice-welcome you can refer back to the first post in that thread. The user posting it will have included that information in their initial post.

The icons are only relevant in the Ballads section of the forum where advice-welcome and hugs-only threads appear in the same space. For the rest of the forum it's safe to presume that advice is welcome unless it is posted in Jedi Hugs.

Mod note end.

Catmom

Post by Catmom »

Thanks, boutet. I am just now seeing your post (several days later).
I have not figured out how to notice if there are replies (I see I can subscribe to a thread, but I'm not sure about how / whether that will help me, where to look etc).

I am sorry about the ableist infraction. I am very aware of the policy but did not see the specific thing I said as problematic, so clearly I need to Think Harder (or more or something). Thanks for letting me know, I will continue to work on this, and hope to do better.

Thanks for the advice about advice=and-no-advice being together only in Ballads. I thought there was more mixing than this (like in I need help and Jedi Hugs -- I thought there was some cross-over at times).

Catmom

Post by Catmom »

Whoops, and also I really did not expect that anyone would make programming changes. I just hoped (maybe?) there were other indicators I was overlooking (like words).

I'm still feeling some anxiety about posting the right things. (I'm also someone who is highly sensitive about unwanted advice, so l truly LOVE that FOCA has indicators / forums to help people avoid that.)