Accessibility question

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
BloomingAzaelas
Pronouns: she/her

Accessibility question

Post by BloomingAzaelas »

Does anybody know if there is a way to make the text size larger when viewing this forum on an iPhone? I've found it aggravates my migraines. I've changed the text size for my phone, but this site doesn't respond to that.

siranoyd
Pronouns: they/them

Re: Accessibility question

Post by siranoyd »

I couldn't do it over the forum settings, but my mobile browser allows me to set a font size. (I use Ghostery) Tbh the "large" font size was too large for me, but it depends on your phone I guess - mine is pretty small. So maybe poke around your browser's settings?

BloomingAzaelas

Post by BloomingAzaelas »

Hm no luck.

Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

I would love to know the solution for this if there is/ends up being one.
I want to be Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan when I grow up.

creativeusername

Post by creativeusername »

I'm sorry if this is, like, so obvious as to be insulting and useless, but are you able to 'zoom in' to (effectively) increase the text size while scrolling horizontally? And are you using the mobile version of the site?

Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Thanks for the suggestions, Evelyn! I am using the mobile version. Unfortunately, turning my phone from portrait to landscape orientation doesn't change the text size, just rearranges the words into longer lines. It was the first thing I tried, but I'm (painfully slowly) learning that things that are obvious to me are not always obvious to everyone.

kathlynn
Pronouns: any female or generic pronoun

Post by kathlynn »

Have you tried using the regular site on your phone? That's what I use. And you can zoom in easily.
I fuss over details, loath absolute/blanket statements, and probably over think everything I do.

rusty
Pronouns: they/them, e/em

Post by rusty »

If using the mobile site with the Chrome browser:

Tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner
Scroll down to Settings
Select Accessibility
Adjust the "text scaling" slider to be larger

I have Android but hopefully this isn't too different in the iPhone version of the Chrome app. I had to dramatically scale up (from 90% to 140%) before I saw a noticeable difference. I don't know if there's a similar trick in Safari, but I'd hope so.

Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Oh, I totally misread Evelyn's question. I can zoom in on my iPhone to effectively increase the text size, but in terms of accessibility it's not a good trade off—I read really fast, so if I can't see the end of a line my brain just skips to the next line and then things get all mixed up and out of order, plus the rapid scrolling back and forth aggravates the pain in my hands.

creativeusername

Post by creativeusername »

Sunflower wrote:Oh, I totally misread Evelyn's question.
Well, the text is too tiny to read comfortably, after all, but thank you for noticing regardless :)

Sorry that I don't have better suggestions for anyone on this important accessibility issue. My phone is old, and I browse almost exclusively on my desktop PC.