Important forum news

If you have a technical problem or a question about the site, ask here. The admin team will also post announcements here - so check in occasionally!
MianaAncrath
Administrator

Important forum news

Post by MianaAncrath »

Greetings Everyone

It is with sadness that we announce that the Friends of Captain Awkward forum will be closing. We have seen a general decline of visitors and new members, and since Covid-19 no longer have an active moderating team and we feel it is time to call the end. Over the next few months, we will be working towards closing the forum down, with old posts removed, new member registration closed and then finally the forum will close on the 25th August.

We encourage that the small community that is left to come up with a way to keep the links going. If you have any suggestions about that please discuss in this thread.

We do not feel that it would be appropriate for the forum to be continued as is, however we would support another group taking on the baton and starting a new forum from scratch - if you wanted to keep the domain name that could be arranged.
Any members wanting to keep copies of their posts are free to take their own, however we'd ask that you respect the rules and not keep anyone's responses to your posts.

Thank you to all our current members, and our past members, it's been a pleasure holding this community.

PanicAtTheCostco
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Important forum news

Post by PanicAtTheCostco »

This is sad news to hear, but I completely understand your reasons for this decision. I want to express my gratitude to the mod team for keeping this forum so well-run over the years - you've done a fantastic job.

I'll miss this place, and I'd love to be kept informed of any new communities that might be created in the future.

Thanksforallthefish
Pronouns: she, her

Post by Thanksforallthefish »

Wow I am so sad to hear this. This space has been such a benefit to me and helped me process so much and grow so much. I dearly hope we can find a way to keep this community in another form. I know my own engagement faded during the pandemic on account of existential dread but I have been happy to be coming back and starting to increase my activity once more.
This is a quest to learn myself; this country hidden underwater and only recently risen to the surface. I've spent so many years squished into small boxes, I am slowly inflating and unfolding to find my natural edges and curves.
-Solecism (para)

pressYtoHONK
Pronouns: thon/xe/co

Post by pressYtoHONK »

Thank you for the years of work you all have put into maintaining and fostering this community.

Thanks as well to all the users who built this into a community.
Meh.

Mrs Morley
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Mrs Morley »

I’m sad to hear this.

wolfdog
Pronouns: they/them

Post by wolfdog »

This is sad news. This place has been a monumental help to me over the past few years, not only in reading the insights and advice that people have shared, but also in learning what it means to set and hold boundaries. Watching the moderation team navigate challenging circumstances has helped me feel more empowered in my own life to communicate clearly with people and maintain the integrity of my own boundaries, even when others are struggling or in crisis. There have been times when I felt steamrolled and taken advantage of IRL, and found myself thinking, "I wish the FOCA mods could moderate this conversation!" Those were important light bulb moments for me where I realized I needed to become the "moderator" of my own interactions and enforce my own standards for how I was willing to be treated.

My experiences here directly contributed to sweeping positive changes in my life, including getting free from a long-term relationship I now recognize was abusive. I can't thank you all enough for that.

If a new group of some sort does form, I would certainly be interested in joining. Either way, I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

bratsche
Pronouns: she/her

Post by bratsche »

Echoing what's been said so far; this has been a wonderful community, massive appreciation for the efforts of all who have created and maintained it, understanding that even a labor of love can't go on forever, true sadness that this will be lost.

honoria
Pronouns: she, her

Post by honoria »

I am so sorry to hear this. Thank you for all the hard work on this wonderful place.

privateaccount

Post by privateaccount »

Sad to hear, but I'm grateful and impressed that the forum managed to carry on as long as it did. Thank you everyone for your advice and support.