observation on ballad threads

Got an idea to help make this a better place?
Momentary

observation on ballad threads

Post by Momentary »

I'm realising that although ballad threads are a good idea, I rarely read them because the subject lines don't tell me whether they're covering issues that resonate for me. I wonder whether there's a creative solution for this?

siranoyd
Pronouns: they/them

Re: observation on ballad threads

Post by siranoyd »

I don't have a solution, but it's the same for me. I have a hard time remembering which ballad threads I've followed/read so far and which not.
I guess that you could determine whether a thread has reached ballad length or not by the number of posts in it?

the_oddest_sock
Pronouns: she/ her

Post by the_oddest_sock »

Maybe it would help to have separate areas for ballad threads (a choir section? :P) vs the short specific help threads? Might make the longer term threads easier to follow, since you'd know they're about the OP rather than a specific issue. Maybe a short summary in the first ballad post of the major issues to be discussed would help also?
#til there are no good famous quotes about socks.

siranoyd

Post by siranoyd »

That's a good idea - readers would know what they're getting themselves into ( ;) ) and ballad threads could have more informative titles.

Spiny Pinata

Post by Spiny Pinata »

I have to admit I'm kind of confused about when to post in my ballad thread and when to start a new topic. So ballad threads are for regular posters to consolidate all their "I Need Help" posts? Or just posts about a certain thing?

saltomortale
Pronouns: she/her

Post by saltomortale »

Seeing as the Concert Hall has opened, thanks!
Do we need to notify the mods about our respective ballads or have they already noted which threads are ballads to be moved over soon?

siranoyd

Post by siranoyd »

I reported my own post which gave me the chance to request a title change too. ;) Besides, you need to clarify whether you're okay with advice or not, I think...

mooocow

Post by mooocow »

We have moved all the ballad threads that we were aware of (which is: all that were clearly ballads from the title and had posts recently). If your ballad thread has not been moved by now, please let us know by using the report button.

The ballad threads are for two things

(a) If you have one or more ongoing issues that come up in variations over a while (e.g., I have been struggling with whether or not to stay in academia, and am now planning my next moves after quitting - all more or less one issue that has been evolving over time)

(b) If you just like to keep folks updated about the general state of your life

One would normally assume that each person has one ballad thread that covers all ongoing issues plus general updates, but I suppose if you had two totally separate ongoing issues that you really want to keep separate for some reason, you could also have two? Not 100% sure about this one, I can check with the other mods.

In general, it's still fine to post 'I need help' posts about other, specific issues - e.g., while I leave the 'I need help' forum alone with the general existential 'what do I want to be when I grow up?' question, as it is covered by the ballad, I still write in 'I need help' when I have a question about cat ownership, or if I have a practical question about job interviews that's not related to the existentialist questioning side of things.