Another BBCode Suggestion

Got an idea to help make this a better place?
mooocow

Re: Another BBCode Suggestion

Post by mooocow »

Jep, GoatLady, I have the same problem on tapatalk. I never mentioned it here, because personally I read all the tw'd stuff anyways, but I guess for people who do have problems with triggers this is a big deal.

Jay Bird, I noticed that, too.

King Hotpants
Pronouns: he

Post by King Hotpants »

The TW problem is a tapatalk problem that we've known about for a while. The app largely ignores text formatting, and the TW tag relies on a stylesheet. Unfortunately I'm not sure if we can do anything about it, but I will look into it again.

edit: I will also look into the problem with multiple
There is hidden text below. Click Show to see it.
tags and see if that's something we can fix.
Please read the rules, respect your fellow posters, and contact a member of staff if there's a problem.

GoatLady
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by GoatLady »

Wondering if anything came of this?

Tapatalk *does*respect the spoiler tag, and I guess I'm kind of wondering why a separate TW tag was made that's an accessibility barrier to participation for those of us primarily on mobile devices. Not everyone can afford a computer, particularly if not employable due to disability.
If there's a problem the judicious application of goats won't fix, I don't want to know about it.

The_Other_Alice
Pronouns: she, her

Post by The_Other_Alice »

Hi GoatLady - unfortunately no, at the moment we don't have a fix. Using the spoiler tag instead is definitely viable and I'll talk to the others about the best way to handle this.

Until then our standard advice has been to use your mobile browser to access the forums, which is generally what I do myself when reading threads that are warning for my triggers. I know this isn't ideal by any means but it is an option.

Elodieunderglass
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Elodieunderglass »

Yeah, I'm a phone-exclusive user of the forums and I don't use tapatalk! Not everyone's phone supports it, and I have a cheap-ass one besides that doesn't have space for every random app. You can definitely have a phone-only experience on the forums without using an app! Further, since it's an app that none of us wrote, few of us use and none of use can code, I feel pretty neutral on encouraging its use and would recommend mobile browsing.
I live on a boat in the wilderness, so everything I write here is typed on a phone. Make of any grammar/spelling mistakes what you will; I've noticed them too and forgiven them

GoatLady
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by GoatLady »

So here's a couple screen shots of what the forums look like on my mobile browser vice Tapatalk that will hopefully demonstrate why the app is way easier for me to use.

Tapatalk: large text size that doesn't require side to side scrolling, non-migraine-inducing white on black.

Web browser: tiny text that requires much zooming and side to side scrolling, difficult to read black and blue on white.

Of course tapatalk may have just made it all a moot point by hiding the "create new post" button and other functionality, but for reading it's a vastly superior user existence in part because it does ignore a large amount of text formatting (this isn't the only forum I use it for, just arguably the one most important to me).

I get that people are volunteer coders and not necessarily pros, but it does mean that they're also not familiar with the cross-platform access problems that can be created by "this is a cool idea". And if the goal of this community is to be maximally welcoming, then access issues need to be considered carefully, especially when *there's already code that doesn't create this issue.*
If there's a problem the judicious application of goats won't fix, I don't want to know about it.

TheR.J.
Pronouns: They
Location: Eating chocolates in a room where the world is a different place

Post by TheR.J. »

GoatLady wrote:
I get that people are volunteer coders and not necessarily pros, but it does mean that they're also not familiar with the cross-platform access problems that can be created by "this is a cool idea". And if the goal of this community is to be maximally welcoming, then access issues need to be considered carefully, especially when *there's already code that doesn't create this issue.*
Can I ask for clarification on who's volunteer coding and what they're volunteer coding?
When I am wearing my mod hat, it's official business. Otherwise? Nothing special. :)

"Man sieht nur mit dem herzen gut." The Little Prince
"...Dzīvi jāņem smejot.
Tik, cik tā iemirdzas. Kā garāmejot.” Imants Ziedonis

M.J.
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by M.J. »

Hey GoatLady,

The admin team has been discussing this for a bit now and we'd like to update y'all on the current status. The reason we have different tags is two-fold. 1. When we started the forums we were not aware that Tapatalk existed and therefore the decisions we made at the time did not take Tapatalk-compability into account. 2. We decided very early on that we wanted to differentiate between spoilers and triggers so that people wouldn't read triggers by accident because they thought it was a spoiler.

We are currently looking into ways to modify the browser-version of the forum to make it more friendly to mobile surfing. Given that we're running a stock forum software and we are not programmers this is a long-term project for us and we do not know when or if we'll find a good solution, but we are looking for it. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, it's what ensures the forums continue to improve.

- Quisty and the Admod team
Hi!

I tumblr at myfairytalelogic