[Trivial] I need help posts

Got an idea to help make this a better place?
marmoset

[Trivial] I need help posts

Post by marmoset »

I've noticed there's a trend to put [Trivial] in the title of some I Need Help posts. I'm not sure how recent this is, or if it's a thing that's been discussed before, but it really bugs me! I hate the idea that some requests for help are more real or deserving than others, and I wish this trend would stop. Perhaps the mod team would step in to discourage this practice?

(Unless this was something encouraged by mods in the first place, in which case I'm gonna feel pretty silly, heh)

Much love for all your hard work!

Azla
Pronouns: She/her

Re: [Trivial] I need help posts

Post by Azla »

I'm one of those who use it a lot, mostly as a way to indicate my asking for help isn't urgent or extremely important. It's more of a discussion question I'd like other people's input on. For me, some of the things I post ARE less important than others, but that doesn't invalidate my wanting to discuss things.

But it would be good to get a ruling from the mods.

I'm sorry it bothers you.
I make a mess of my commas.

marmoset

Post by marmoset »

That's okay Azla, I definitely didn't mean this to be negative towards people who do it - I can for sure see the reasoning. (I'm very embarrassed that it didn't occur to me that the people who do this would read this post - though it's obvious in retrospect! Ack!)

Interested to hear what the mod teams thoughts are. I'm thinking especially of new users to the forum who might think this is an expected practice and end up with an unnecessary barrier to posting.

Hope I didn't hurt your feelings here Azla. <3

Azla
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Azla »

Not at all! :)
I just wanted to bring another perspective to it.
I make a mess of my commas.

boutet
Administrator
Pronouns: she/her

Post by boutet »

Speaking as just one mod (not a full team message) they haven't been specifically encouraged or discouraged. It's not an official designation.

Thanksforallthefish
Pronouns: she, her

Post by Thanksforallthefish »

I also want to weigh in on another aspect to it. Sometimes when I'm at low-spoons I'm more inclined to read anything marked Trivial because it feels a bit like the opposite of a trigger warning...like I know I probably won't read deep triggering content in it so it feels a safer topic to tackle.
This is a quest to learn myself; this country hidden underwater and only recently risen to the surface. I've spent so many years squished into small boxes, I am slowly inflating and unfolding to find my natural edges and curves.
-Solecism (para)

marmoset

Post by marmoset »

Huh, I hadn't thought of that Thanksforallthefish. I can see how that would be useful in that context. Maybe the best thing would be for me to take care of myself around my own perceptions/response to the label. :)

Thanksforallthefish
Pronouns: she, her

Post by Thanksforallthefish »

I feel like I've also seen things like "Low-stakes" or "not-urgent" which could work well.
This is a quest to learn myself; this country hidden underwater and only recently risen to the surface. I've spent so many years squished into small boxes, I am slowly inflating and unfolding to find my natural edges and curves.
-Solecism (para)

marmoset

Post by marmoset »

Yeah for sure. I think it's the "Trivial" one specifically for me, which probably says more about me than about the labels. At any rate, I feel heard around this so if there doesn't end up being an "official" decision one way or the other, I'm all good over here. :)